Tuesday, January 19, 2010

oudshoorn, ostriches


photo:RODGER BOSCH
MEDIACLUBSOUTHAFRICA


I have never been one for doing mainstream tourist things,
but I decided to go on a ostrich farm visit. Despite the fact that
it was 39 degrees in the shade!And Oudshoorn is gripped in the worst
drought in history.

Colleen, our guide took us around the pens, explaining all
the interesting bits about ostriches and their quirky little
habits. The fact that they really can't count, that their eyes
weigh 60g and their brains 40g, and that they really are stupid
made them even more endearing to me. They have the most
beautiful eyes and eye lashes to die for.
When the males are looking for female company, their
beaks and fronts of legs turn bright pink/red and they end up
looking even more girlie than the girls!

So after devouring a fast-melting ice cream, I popped
into the curio shop and now I can also say
"been there, done that, bought the featherduster"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love you to make a comment